Thursday, March 29, 2012

A Mirror

“Spend a few minutes naked in front of a full length mirror. While standing there, tell the different parts of your body you love them.”

This was the assignment in Chapter 4 of A Year with Myself.

– Ha! Like I’d ever do that. Get real.

But, I had some time that weekend, and I was all alone, so I took everything off and stood there.

A miracle happened. I started at my forehead and immediately really looked at my face and noticed that I have some serious wrinkles - all in the form of surprise or laughter. I tried to scowl just to see what wrinkles appeared and……….. I don’t even have one scowl wrinkle! Or anger wrinkle! All my wrinkles were from being happy, laughing and surprised with life. Years of thinking I came off as a meany were replaced by what clearly was a lifetime of happiness and joy. Wrinkles don’t lie!

And then, I started the “I love you’s”.  Telling each part of my body that I loved it – starting with my wrinkles. With a beginning like that, by the time I got to my shoulders I was laughing out loud – I actually LOVED my body.

The rest was a blast – by the time I got to my calves, I felt free.

From what? Maybe another lifetime of lying to myself? I don’t know.

I do know this – one innocuous little exercise and I will never be the same.  

No comments:

Post a Comment